Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Tuesday Local Jam and Jelly at Luminescent Hookah Lounge


Moe Rizvi visited UCF’s Tent City event last week, where he witnessed the performance of Afeefa and The Boy. Shortly thereafter he offered them a gig at the Luminescent Hookah Lounge, of which he is the event director and coordinator. The business has been open for about six months and seeks to be a place to showcase local talent. “After hearing the local talent, I can bet that you won’t want to listen to the radio anymore.”

Stu Sauce would be the opening act that night. For Sauce, songwriting began in high school. Now in college, he continues to write and perform while pursuing a degree in Language Arts Education. “I like writing short songs, to match my attention span. Pay attention to the proletariat, we hate long songs!” Songs such as Miss Mary Jane, Aarrgh! Revolution and The Squirrel Song welcomed approving laughter and applause from the entire lounge.

In between sets, Afeefa Ayube spoke extensively about her experience with music. She began playing guitar and writing songs only about a year ago. While growing up in a religious home in Toronto, she was not permitted to listen to music. “I have just about zero musical influences and began writing music accidently, finding rhythm in poetry. Then the very first time I did an open mic performance, I met [Jay Yerkes], which was the beginning of the band we have now. I write the lyrics and melodies, and [my bandmates] just play what they feel and sooner or later we have a song. We formed so organically, and we have great chemistry. Honestly I have no clue what I’m doing, music was just something that arrived in my soul and I couldn’t shake it.”

Later…
“Hey, thanks for coming out. We really like your blog, by the way.”
“Thanks so much. I’m running out of adjectives to describe your band. [tone of despair] The English language limits me.”
“Dude, that’s a great idea, let’s do a song in Latin!”

To be continued…?

No comments:

Post a Comment