Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ricin House



A group of people, some fans, some musicians, sat at a round table outside of Friendly Confines. The band members completed each other’s stories with ease, mocking one another with an affection commonly found among longtime friends. Iain Hart, the guitarist and vocalist, begins the long tale. In the beginning, Hart had a full ride to Rollins College on a music scholarship, but GPA problems and other life pursuits led him elsewhere.
 “After I got into a car accident and had to learn to walk again, I moved in with my mom in Melbourne. I’d been in 3 bands before the crash and swore I’d never be in another, so at that point I decided I wanted to become a chemist. Then I met [Mercedes Rosal]. When I first saw her, I thought this girl looked like she could kill a bitch, but her friend was really hot, so I came over to chat.”
Rosal interjects, “What happened was, I needed a study partner for chemistry and I thought he was really smart.”
“But she was wrong!”
“Anyways, one time we got bored studying and starting talking about music, and found out we both liked Nirvana. So we started jamming at her parents’ house, and they were creepy supportive of the whole thing. A few months later I convinced her lawyer dad to let his daughter, his baby girl, move in with me for the purpose of making music.”  Both of their families were supportive of their musical pursuits; Rosal’s parents bought her a drum kit, while Hart’s father told him that following his dreams and doing what he loves would be the most fulfilling experience of his life.
The band was originally called Paradise Boulevard, but when their bassist went to prison, they disbanded and later reformed as Ricin House.
“It was the only name we could settle on…because drugs.”
“What am I? Some kinda druggie alcoholic?!” Hart says as he downs a pint of beer.
They recorded a couple of demos at Valencia College and soon thereafter began to get gigs, recording their first EP with the help of Christian Goblin from the Green Goblyn Project at Rocket City Studios. They are currently recording music at KDS Studios.

Brian Villalobos, Bass “the soul of the band”
Words of wisdom: “If he doesn’t wanna cum, then just keep pounding till its raw.”
Mercedes Rosal, Drums “I am the band”
Iain Hart, Guitar and Lead vocals “the hips of the band”
“Music is more important than money, but money allows you to make music. Figure it out. By the way, we love the Grizzly Atoms.”

No comments:

Post a Comment