Sunday, December 23, 2012

Post End of the World Show at Uncle Lou's Entertainment Hall

Uncle Lou’s Entertainment Hall… It’s a tiny little bar on North Mills Avenue, labeled only with the letters LMGA on the front door. There are paintings on the walls of famous musicians, evidently from more than one painter. The bathrooms are covered in graffiti, the toilets and sinks in band stickers. Iain Hart of Ricin House says he’s got a lot of memories here at Uncle Lou’s. “I played my first show here, almost 10 years ago. I busted my front tooth here and broke my guitar here once, too. And Uncle Lou, he’s a respectable guy. He’s like that cool uncle that lets you get away with almost anything!”

Cateye, a punk band out of Brevard County, is made up of Bassist Trevor Kolp, Singer Olivia Rogers and Drummer Sweaty Ferguson who, according to Rogers is the most ridiculous guy she has ever met. They played their show immediately following Ricin House (see November 17th blog entry). The extremely loud band was supported by an animated group of about 10 people who turned the entire dance area into a mosh pit. Roger’s screaming vocals didn’t seem to match her shy sounding voice, which wasn’t the least bit shy as she explained, “This next song’s about…when you wanna have sex with a guy but your pussy’s too dry!”  For their finale, Sweaty Ferguson violently disassembled his drum set and Rogers rolled around on the floor vocalizing a mock orgasm. 

Swallow was up next. Made up of brothers Quinn and Conor Landes along with their new bassist Maxwell Aldrich, “Swallow is a Post-Grunge Revival band from Orlando, FL that draws on punk, metal, pop, and the occasional no-wave influences in its varied style of songwriting.” This evening they debuted a song titled Brain In A Storm Drain. 

I am a brain in a storm drain
My thoughts are washed away in the filth/[shit]
You may say I’m a dreamer
But I am not the only one
I am free
Free from dreams
Washed in pay/[pee]
Down the sink
I am a brain in a storm drain 
I am your every single thought
I am a brain in a storm drain
I’m from the land that time forgot
I am a brain in a storm drain
I am the fire in your heart
I am a brain in a storm drain
I pollute every human thought

Later…
Ricin House bassist Brian Villalobos is wearing a green tutu over leopard print pants. A guy asks him about his wardrobe choices. Max Aldrich answers, “That’s just Brian for you. Actually, this outfit is probably somewhere between the 20th and 25th most ridiculous outfits I’ve seen him wear. The one that tops my list has gotta be that time at Red Lion Pub when you wore nothing but a flying purple people eater mask and a man thong.” 

For more information on the bands mentioned please visit
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cateye/140609426013642
https://www.facebook.com/SwallowMusic
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ricin-House/195415903815172
http://www.reverbnation.com/ricinhouse


No comments:

Post a Comment