Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Shaman Treez, in his own words

Note: This article is presented with minimal editing for grammatical error and consistency.Credit for the writing goes to Shaman Treez. Opinions shared are those of the artist and do not necessarily represent the opinions of  The Orlando Independent Music Blog.
I have always written poetry since elementary school. My cousin and his group of friends, who were a lot older than me, were always smoking herb and freestyling (which is a form of improv spontaneous rapping). My cousin eventually got into producing and recording. He also introduced me to cannabis when I was 13, which led me to start writing my own rhymes out of boredom in school and life. I loved hanging out with the older cats, so I felt that this was a way to really be in the circle. Everyone noticed that I had talent, so my cousin decided to produce and record for me, resulting in my first song at age 15. After I graduated high school, I got more into film and let go of the dream of making it big as a rapper. However, Hip Hop came back heavy in my life with a spiritual awakening I had in 2008, where I experienced what mystics call the ego death. I had true self-realization as a divine immortal being. My expanded consciousness allowed me to understood Hip Hop in its true context. This is what led me to start writing, recording and eventually performing. Through the lens of my higher self, I came to accept that my mission in life was to communicate truth and wisdom through the channel of spoken word. Soon thereafter I met another rapper, Bagz, and together we formed the group Bagz and Treez.
It is helpful to understand how Hip Hop turned into such a powerful force in the world's community. With Hip Hop's evolution, we see an awakening of consciousness. Hip Hop allowed for true freedom of self expression; you were allowed to say anything you wanted as long as it was on beat. With this we saw the subject matters and lyrical content get more complex. Grand Master Flash's the message was the first real Hip Hop song that featured social commentary on the harsh reality of urban street life. It was a song that exposed the conditions of the city, versus glorifying it as we see now. Then we saw MC's like Rakim, Krs One, Queen Latifah who not only entertained but educated the public, especially the youth, on what was going on. This evolution ascended with the godbody philosophy spreading from Harlem to all the Burroughs. The godbody philosophy touches on the esoteric teachings of self. Rappers like AZ, Nas, and Wu Tang Clan amongst others were now speaking about metaphysical and occult subjects that not only raised the intelligence level of the listener but initiated them into the higher centers of their consciousness. There was also the activism element with rappers like Public Enemy, who openly pointed a finger at the system and challenged the status quo of the American cultural image. MCs now had the reach and power to influence the masses as Hip Hop was being embraced by the international community. This was seen as a major threat to the political and commercial interests that want to keep the general populace apathetic and inactive. There then became a trend where the commercial music industry started to shift its focus and financial support away from Hip Hop artists who were challenging the status quo and instead putting their focus on rappers who spoke more about superficial things like ‘shake that ass, check out my ride, my chain is bigger than yours’ etc. The highly refined Hip Hop culture turned into a fast food commodity, where the ignorant rappers are viewed as the most marketable, and any intelligent self aware artist would be put in the back burner. The lyrical content was dumbed down and simplified all for sake of suppressing truly engaging Hip Hop, which is at the core of the culture.
Hip Hop culture is a very diverse and rich, featuring all the elements one would find in any other culture. Hip Hop has its own fashion style, visual art style, myths, rituals, dances, and history. Hip Hop's essence at heart is about self expression on all levels whether vocally, visually, physically, or mentally. Hip Hop is a mentality that is founded on the rebels urge to define him or herself at all costs even if their identity goes against the accepted social norms and customs. So Hip Hop is about self realization in an unconventional way as self realization, like what Buddha taught. It is not about accepting what is taught but questioning everything one has been taught through deep introspection and this means going within oneself.
My current goal is to live 100 percent off of my music and art and to eventually be in the position to tour the world. I am also an activist for Marijuana Legalization, at least for medicinal use, in my home state of Florida. I also see myself doing films in the future as I feel that the film industry is getting watered down, which is a shame. Film in my opinion is the ultimate art form, as it encompasses all other art forms into one. In the years to come I see myself creating music and films as well as healing people with my shamanic knowledge. Everything has a cure just like every equation has a solution.
I will be performing on November 9th at an International Sticker show called Stick Em' Up in Orlando. I am also lecturing as a guest speaker through NORML at the University of Central Florida on November 13. I’m currently working on an EP called Medicine Man, which will be an introduction to the album I drop in 2014. I have a bunch of other projects in the works, but you will just have to keep your eye out for those.


No comments:

Post a Comment